8.21.2006

No More


This poem was written in the memory and spirit of Gil Scot Heron's "Jose Compos Torres".









I had said I wasn’t gone write no more rhymes like this
No more rhymes talking about hard times
Hard times and heinous crimes,
Skewed lines and hard times that no one knows but me
Travesty that no one seems to see
The endless effort and creativity
That is unequivocally being stamped out
Minds mindlessly trying to discover what they’re about


I had said I wasn’t gone write no more rhymes like this
Told myself that I would try to see the good in bad situations
Would try to let myself be an All-American citizen of this nation
I had said I wasn’t gone write no more rhymes like this….
But then reality knocked the rose colored spectacles off my eyes
Destiny allowed me to start seeing through my ancestor’s lives
That knowledge turned history into lies, turned misery into cries from the souls of black folk
Unable to throw off the master’s yoke
I had said I wasn’t gone write no more rhymes like this; I made a mistake



Hannibal Ad Portas!

Catalyst

2 comments:

Angel said...

am i wrong if all i could hear in the back of my mind is him saying, "tha muthafckin' dawgs are in the street...?"

CousinSarah said...

This is a REALLY REALLY good piece man.

Love it.